Synaptics ForcePad™ | Synaptics
A New Dimension in Capacitive Input: Pressure
The latest addition to the Synaptics TouchPad™ portfolio, ForcePad™ technology is a game-changing innovation that alters the human-machine interface by delivering a new dimension of control—pressure. ForcePad technology detects per-finger pressure, giving users an entirely new element of intuitive control. Because it’s engineered to respond to varying levels of pressure, ForcePad products enable more intuitive and precise user interactions in both operating system controls and applications including multi-touch gestures. ForcePad solutions are also very thin, and because it does not require additional buttons, it is designed for larger surface areas that are compatible with Microsoft's larger touchpad size recommendations.
Revolutionary ForcePad Technology
ForcePad technology introduces an entirely new dimension of user-control while still maintaining the sleek, simple form factor of ClickPad. ForcePad solutions enable multi-finger control, with variable pressure detection in a button-free design that maximizes the gesture area. This makes it the ideal solution for a fast and fluid Windows 8 experience not available in any other touchpad on the market today.
All ForcePad products incorporate Synaptics’ deep system engineering and human factors expertise, and enable device manufacturers to deliver a consistent, high quality user experience across a wide range of products.
Synaptics is redefining the human-machine interface for every PC user who wants the ultimate in touch.
Features and Benefits
- Multi-finger Variable Pressure Detection—In addition to best-in-class image sensing performance, ForcePad solutions detect up to 5 fingers of variable pressure, at 6 bit resolution and up to 1000 grams of force.
- Force-enhanced Gesture Continuation—By varying the amount of pressure applied, users can now control the speed of a gesture operation and continue the motion after the gesture stops. As more pressure is applied, the faster a user can navigate a web page, list or document, providing unprecedented precision in user interaction.
- More Control with Fewer Menus and Buttons—The ForcePad application programming interface (API) provides new pressure capabilities that enable software developers to deliver more control directly through the touchpad, resulting in a smoother, more immersive user experience—and per Windows 8 guidance, with fewer menus and buttons.
- Auto-calibration—The auto-calibration feature solves the problem of inconsistent ClickPad experience from OEMs using a mix of ODMs resulting in variance in ClickPad mechanical designs and click force feel. Auto-calibration can detect and adjust to changes in the ForcePad solutions physical environment, including chassis flexure, temperature and humidity.
- ClickEQ™ Click Anywhere Technology—ClickEQ technology means no dead zones and drives the best user experience. This enables the accuracy and functionality of today’s TouchPad technologies, meets Windows 8 Modern TouchPad guidelines with image-sensing, fulltime finger tracking, and supports new Windows 8 gestures.
- Industry-leading Gesture Suite—Synaptics Gesture Suite™ provides the industry’s most comprehensive multi-touch gesture library, including Windows 8 gestures and force-enhanced gestures that work out of the box.
- Streamlined Design—With no hinges or button switches, it’s perfect for the thin component requirements of Ultrabooks while allowing more space for multi-touch gestures. OEMs can also increase battery capacity by giving back more volume to the system for battery and cooling.
- Proven Technology—With over a decade of experience in designing and testing TouchPad solutions, Synaptics has an unparalleled track record of getting devices to market. What’s more, our capacitive touch-sensing technology is used in over one billion devices.